Miller Veterinary Supply was founded in 1920 by W.C. “Jack” Miller. Mr. Miller was encouraged to go into business by a veterinarian meat inspector at the Fort Worth Stockyards, who along with his colleagues, had difficulty getting their pet supplies in a timely manner. Initially he worked at his managerial position in the pipeline division of Gulf Oil Company during the day in downtown Fort Worth. In the evening, he would go to the old Main Post Office (on the site of the current Public Safety building), get his orders out of his post office box, go to his office in the Flatiron Building (still standing across from the Fort Worth Convention Center), pack the orders, then mail them at back the post office.
By 1936 the business had grown substantially, requiring more of Jack’s time, so he and Gulf parted ways and Miller Veterinary Supply became his full-time pursuit.
In 1947 Bennie Smith and his wife Wilma (Jack’s only child) went to work for Miller. At the time the company operated out of a building owned by Tandy Leather Company on Lancaster Street in Fort. Worth. The following year Miller relocated to 1224 West Daggett Street in Fort Worth. This building was soon purchased by the company. Miller operated out of this 12,000 square foot facility for 32 years. In 1980 following a devastating fire, the company moved to its present location at 201 S. Adams Street between downtown and Harris Hospital.
In 1967, the company incorporated and also reached the milestone of $1,000,000 in sales. Bennie and Wilma’s eldest child, Jack, joined the company in 1974 and contributed significantly to the company’s growth and success.
Miller Veterinary Supply automated its operations in 1980, becoming more efficient and thereby improving upon their reputation for outstanding customer service. Upon Bennie’s death in 1996, Wilma began overseeing operations. Wilma was involved in the business until she passed away in 2013. In 2005, Cindy Keefer became the General Manager.
Today the company employs 25 people and provides service to more than 1,000 customers throughout the Southwest, including the states of Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arkansas, & Louisiana. The company is still owned and operated by Jack Miller’s grandson, Jack Smith, and his granddaughter, Nancy Dobbs, and is now the oldest veterinary supply company in the United States.